I teach a beginners Tie Dye class that shows a student how to tie up an item of clothing or material by teaching them 3 different basic methods of tying using artificial sinew or rubber bands. Once the item is tied, the student(s) will choose to dye their item from a variety of colors. They will take the item home to "set" the dyes over 24 hours before rinsing out. A typical class usually runs about 2 hours.
In this Workshop, students will provide their own item to dye, ranging from tee shirts to canvas bags, or dish towels to aprons. Whatever they would like to have as wearable art or just a large piece of material to hang on the wall, such as a mandala. I will provide the sources of where to shop for the items.
I have been doing tie dyed clothing for more than 8 years and love what I do, especially being able to help others to learn this craft.
The Workshops are currently beginners classes and I expect
to offer advanced classes once I have had at least 100 students take the beginner class. Please tell your friends about Fit to be Tied.
Sign up to hear from other workshops and events.
Please contact us if you cannot find an answer to your question.
I use professional grade, Procion Fiber Reactive Dyes, that when they are washed with detergent and dried, will last at least 100 washings and will not bleed to other clothing you wash with the tie dyed clothing.
Depending on the complexity of the tying you choose to do, will result in how long it takes to finish an item to dye. Most classes last between 2-3 hours.
• Michael’s & JoAnne Fabrics both stores carry 100% cotton T’s, and sometimes they carry aprons, socks, canvas bags and more. These 2 stores are the best places to purchase shirts because you can buy individual shirts vs. packs of shirts. You can also check out Walmart for dyeable items, just check the labels to make sure they are 100% cotton. (Walmart sells packs of shirts)
• Hobby Lobby has an entire tie dye section in the store.
• Dharma Trading (where I purchase the dyes) carries lots of varieties of clothing, from pants to shorts, dresses to skirts, shirts, baby clothing, dog clothes, hats, bags and more!! Just make sure you don’t wait until the last minute to order, it could take up to a week or more to get your shipment. https:// www.dharmatrading.com
• Big Lots & Target - I just saw 100% cotton dish towels at the Big Lots I frequent (no guarantee), and some of the Targets carry cotton dish towels, pillow cases too.
• Thrift stores are great when you are just starting, in fact, Goodwill sorts their clothes by color, if you want to get white shirts to practice on. You may also dye pastel items with no issue.
Would you like to book a session of our workshop for your business or community group?
Send us a message for that or other requests. We will get back to you soon!
Classes are mostly done on the weekends, however, I can make exceptions for any party that may fit into my schedule during a weekday.